The latest was reported by the Newark Star-Ledger, this time involving conflicts of interest affecting the university's board of trustees. The newspaper found multiple possible conflicts.
- Sonia Delgado, the chair of the board, is a health lobbyist for Princeton Public Affairs Group, "whose clients include Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick, a teaching hospital affiliated with UMDNJ. Records show her firm also represents Bon Secours Health System Inc., a Catholic health care system ... that is currently to sell St. Mary's Hospital in Hoboken to UDMNJ."
- "John P. Ferguson is the president and CEO of Hackensack University Medical Center, also affiliated with UMDNJ...."
- "Christopher Paladino is president of New Brunswick Development Corp... which is building a new dorm on the Newark Campus of UMDNJ."
- "John A Hoffman is a managing partner of the law firm of Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer in Woodbridge, which served as special counsel in the financing of $87.4 million for the dorm project...."
- "Donald Bradley is the Newark City Council president. The city has contracts with UMDNJ."
It is not too hard to imagine that a board of trustees including multiple members with conflicts of interest may not due the best job keeping a medical school (or other health care organization) focused on its mission.