Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Guest Blog - On the Need to Get Ethical

Guest blog by Dr William Tierney -

This is old news. I'm the Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of General Internal Medicine, and in our June 2005 issues we reported in detail a case of medical ghostwriting that had the particular target of showing the hazards of the oral anticoagulant drug warfarin, supporting a drug company's new oral anticoagulant. This article was accompanied by an editorial by me any my Co-Editor and a position statement by the World Association of Medical Editors decrying such practices.

I am a practicing general internist who prescribes drugs regularly that help my patients. I want and need new drugs to be developed, and I believe that users of those drugs should pay for the necessary research and development through both drug pricing and funding of NIH. I am also a patient and similarly want there to be effective drugs to prolong my life and healthy living. But they should be described in an evidence-based manner, and the evidence must be unbiased. The drugs should be priced so the drug company recoups its costs and makes a profit. I have no problems with any of that. But when they try to enhance their profits through illegitimate means -- by essentially lying through advertisements masquerading as scientific articles sneaked into peer-reviewed journals -- then these drug companies are behaving unethically and need to be punished.

I also am a clinical epidemiologist, and as such I do research investigating the positive and adverse outcomes of drugs. I have worked with and been funded by drug companies to do this work, collaborating with company scientists. To a person, I have found them to be honest, careful, and caring people who truly want to positively impact people's lives. It is the marketing divisions of these drug companies that operate in an atmosphere of "anything goes that helps the bottom line."

My father was a purchasing agent for a factory that made automobile parts. We used to get "presents" every Christmas, tickets to Broadway, etc. from suppliers, blatant attempts to influence his decision-making. I can't say whether it ever did, but in the end he had to live with his decisions and so did the company for which he worked. But as a physician, I don't receive the benefits of the drugs I prescribe for my patients, nor do I pay the costs. I act as an agent of my patients, and as such I need to balance benefits, adverse effects, and costs of everything I order. If I have bad information, or if I succumb to company bribes in the form of honoraria, meals, or gifts, my patients pay the price both directly (through my ordering an expensive drug they might not need) and indirectly (through inflated drug prices in general).

It is time for the drug companies to get ethical. Cut out the ghostwriting. Cut out the bribes. Cut out the marketing to patients that inflate drug benefits and minimize their costs and risks. Charge prices that recoup their drug development costs and stop paying billions to "push" drugs on physicians and patients, adding those costs to their drug prices. And we physicians likewise need to get ethical, stop taking bribes, stop reading propaganda or listening to drug detailmen, and base our decisions solely on what is best for our patients, without ignoring costs. (Nobody benefits if we bankrupt our system -- but that's another story...)

We are seeing changes. Eli Lilly now lists all payments they make to physicians (honoraria for speaking, meals, trips, etc.). Many medical schools and large practice organizations have outlawed meals and gifts by drug companies. Journals are more vigilant for ghostwriting and other conflicts of interest among authors. We are seeing a change, and hopefully the abuses by Wyeth, DesignWrite, and other companies involved in ghostwriting will become a thing of our (sordid) past. We can only hope and maintain our diligence as caring health care providers.

Dr Tierney is Co-Editor-in-Chief, the Journal of General Internal Medicine, and Professor of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine. This was also posted as a comment here on the NY Times article about Wyeth's sponsoring of ghost-writing of articles on hormone replacement therapy. See our most recent post on this topic here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As an additional driver I would like to see a toughening of corporate governance. Currently we are seeing large fines being paid out, and as noted, these are simply considered the cost of doing business and are a part of the pricing strategy.

My issue is that these fines, some in the billions of dollars, impact shareholder equity. While many drug and device companies pay above average returns, when a corporate executive knowingly sells a product expecting to pay a fine, he/she has committed fraud against the shareholders.

We need to see a more aggressive stance taken by regulators when these actions are noted.

Steve Lucas

CCRx Medicare Drug Plan said...

It is really sad that drug companies employ such tactics such as giving gifts and other perks to entice the physicians and doctors to prescribe their usually expensive medicines, which as you're article as pointed is in fact not needed by patients. But it is even more sad that some doctors allow themselves to fall to this tactics. But it is a good thing that there are still a few that remains honorable in performing their calling, such as yourself. :)