Tuesday, June 07, 2011

My mother passed away

My mother, affected catastrophically by an EHR-related medical error last year, passed away yesterday evening.

In her memory, a photo of her and me from 1957 I found in her possessions.

Betty Silverstein, 1925-2011

Her children were always Number One.

May she rest in peace, and may my efforts result in others not having to suffer similar mistakes at the hands of IT.

-- SS

Nov. 2011 addendum:

Here is a memorial bench I had erected for my parents at their grave last month, near where they ran a small community pharmacy for almost four decades.
My father, a pharmacist, was a go-to source for health information in the once-bucolic community of Somerton, in far Northeast Philadelphia, long before chain drugstores appeared in the region.
The inscription atop the bench reads "Owners of Lumar Pharmacy. Served This Community 1954 -1991."

They, like I, also toiled to safeguard and improve the health of the public.

Click to enlarge

May they rest in peace.

-- SS

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tears and prayers for you and your family. Keep up your efforts - we need you.

Anonymous said...

Scot,

Let me express our deepest sympathy for you loss. Following along we know this has been a long a difficult time for your entire family.

May your mother be granted the peace she lost, in this, the last year of her life.

Steve Lucas

Sue said...

I am so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and all who loved her.

Anonymous said...

Condolences to you and your family.

Live it or live with it said...

I'm very sorry for your loss and your mom's previous suffering.

This will be the 10th year since my mother died. I had the opportunity to say goodbye in a meangful way.

I hope your mom like mine is now in a better place.

Unknown said...

Scot, Sorry for your loss...

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss.

Marilyn

Anonymous said...

She must have been one very remarkable woman.

Condoloences

Dr. Rick Lippin

Anonymous said...

My sincerest sympathies at the loss of your mother.
Your care for your mother is like the light from a candle,
a light that she started in you,
a light that you shine to many others by the good that you do,
a light that pierces through the darkness of those things that cause pain and suffering,
bringing us hope of light that is undying.

Medicare Enrollment Advice said...

My condolences to you and your family.
It isn't easy to overcome the grief of losing a love one but just do remember that she is in a better place now.